The chicks have now been with us for a complete week as we collected them last Tuesday.
I open their little coup between seven and half past seven and they tumble straight down the ramp into the food dish.
I looked up when to start the chicks on growers pellets. It says at about ten weeks and I think the chicks are twelve weeks or more so I decided to give it a try. I broke the pellets up into smaller bits for the changeover and mixed in some chick crumb too. They seemed to take to it easily.
Today the chicks discovered the little perch which we put in this section when we first had chicks.
Once the chicks had discovered the little perch they kept returning to it as if they were really pleased with their new found skill.
I am really pleased with how it is all going.
I have looked back at the last serama integration and I had mixed the five new girls in five days. I am amazed that it was so quick. I think that they were a bold bunch because they had a safety in numbers. As these chicks are just a pair I feel that I would rather take it a bit more slowly.
There is no need to rush and I am at home all the time now so I have plenty of time to spend with them. I want to get them used to all the different parts of the run before I start mixing them.
This corner part of the run seems to be a good size for their size and the thought of letting roam the bigger parts feels too soon at the moment. I am happy that there is no animosity from the other girls but I think it’s better for the chicks to take our time.
Getting the chicks on growers is a step forward and they seem very happy in their own little space for now. If they are happy I am happy.